Galentine’s Day is typically celebrated February 13th – the day before Valentine’s Day – and is an excuse to get together with close friends to celebrate each other amongst food, drinks and fun activities. While not technically a holiday, Galentine’s Day began about 11 years ago by the fictional television character Leslie Knope from NBC’s “Parks and Recreation.”
Below is a guide to ensure a successful Galentine’s Day, while following COVID-19 guidelines.
Galentine’s Day decor is pretty much standard Valentine’s Day decor, but do not be afraid to go all out. Here are some ideas of what to buy and links to affordable items at stores located in town.
- Heart cut outs
- Colorful strings lights
- Pink and red balloons
- Flowers – Trader Joe’s has a cheap selection of white, red, and pink flowers
- Candy conversation hearts
- Heart garland
Instead of sappy romance music – put on songs that are about friendship and are great to sing to. Below is a link to a Spotify playlist that consists of more lowkey songs and songs about friendship.
- Karaoke – A karaoke jam session is cathartic and a fun way to spend time with friends. What bonds people more than an embarrassing rendition of “Don’t go breaking my heart”?
- Arts and Crafts – An arts and crafts table spread is a fun activity to do with friends – painting with watercolors especially.
- Online Games – Games like Psych or Quiplash are entertaining with a small group. Psych is an app by Ellen DeGeneres in which players are given questions like “If ____ had unlimited money, what would they buy?” The players then submit their answers and everyone votes on their favorites. For Quiplash, you need an Apple TV, Amazon Firestick, Xbox, Playstation, etc. in order to purchase the specific package needed or this game. Players pull up the website on their phones/computers, type in the game code and answer the fill-in-the blank questions given to them. The other players then vote on their favorite answers. After three rounds, whoever has the most points is crowned winner.
- Movie Night – Some fun movies to watch on Netflix or Hulu are:
- “Easy A” (Netflix)
- “50 First Dates” (Netflix)
- “17 Again” (Netflix)
- “What a Girl Wants” (Netflix)
- “The Wedding Planner” (Hulu)
- “The DUFF” (Hulu)
- “What to Expect When You’re Expecting” (Hulu)
Food & Drinks
Pull out all the stops when it comes to Galentine’s Day food and beverages! These recipes below are simple yet delicious.
Strawberry Heart Cake:
- Pick up your desired strawberry (or red velvet – honestly anything pink or red) and prepare as instructed. Place mixture in a heart-shaped baking pan and follow the cooking specifications on the box.
- Get your icing (that you dyed red or pink with food coloring or strawberry frosting if you’re feeling super into that artificial flavor) and ice the cake after it has finished cooling.
- Decorate by either writing out a message, detailing with sprinkles or fresh fruit, or both!
- Slice into that masterpiece with your friends
Chocolate Covered Strawberries:
- Gather your ingredients – 1 pound of strawberries, 6 oz of semi sweet chocolate and 3 oz of white chocolate
- Separately microwave each portion of chocolates on your stovetop until smooth
- Line a baking sheet with tin foil
- Dip each strawberry into the bowl with the semi-sweet chocolate until it is coated. Place strawberry back on the baking sheet. After all are finished, drizzle the white chocolate over each strawberry
- Let it harden for 30 minutes before serving.
“Be My Galentine” Drink
*Can add alcohol if you want to/are of age*
- Gather ingredients – ½ cup of raspberries per drink, sweetened pineapple juice, and ice
- Pour ½ cup of raspberries and 2.5 oz of pineapple juice into cup and mash together until raspberries are pretty broken up
- *Optional* Add alcohol – 2oz of cake vodka
- Add ice and shake (make sure top is covered)
- Get a new glass full of ice and strain mixture into said glass