Here are some tracks to consider this upcoming election and beyond:
1. “Talkin’ Bout a Revolution” by Tracy Chapman
This anthem is emblematic of embracing revolution echoed by Chapman’s soulful voice
2. “Freedom,” by Beyonce ft Kendrick Lamar
Beyonce’s vocals in this track are enough to justify this being on the playlist but her message of liberation is what cements it here.
3. “The Guillotine” by The Coup
I want to guillotine Jeff Bezos so bad.
4. “Liberty” by Amnesty
This is the sample song that Kanye ruined in his track “Lift Yourself.” The vocals in this track are beautiful and accompanied by the theme of liberation.
5. “I Hate the Capitalist System” by Barbara Dane
Presenting the wealth inequality gap!
6. “Not Ready to Make Nice” by The Chicks
This is the track that essentially blacklisted The Chicks for speaking out against Bush’s push for the Iraq war, thus we need to up their streams for this masterpiece.
7. “Big Yellow Taxi” by Joni Mitchell
Mitchell’s most iconic song should be listened to by anyone still doubting climate change and it’s crushing effects on our environment.
8. “Crisis” by ANOHI
This is a song about United States imperialist backed drone strikes killing civilians overseas.
9. “Womanarchist” by Bad Cop
Bad Cop: three minutes of women yelling about sexism? Yes, please.
10. “Thanks, Bastards!” by Mischief Brew
A fun little thank you to the people in power!
Bonus Track: “FDT,” by YG: self-explanatory